Begin Main Content Area

​Spouse or Domestic Partner Change in Employment

Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version

​What health insurance changes can I make and how? 

Read more

You are able to add your spouse, domestic partner, children and eligible stepchildren to your coverage. You may also  drop your coverage if you elect coverage through your spouse or domestic partner’s plan.  You may enroll your dependents in benefits at any time. However, if you wish to drop coverage or elect a new PEBTF plan you must submit the proper documentation within 60 days of the date your spouse or domestic partner became eligible for coverage. 

Please consider the following if you wish to enroll your dependents in your benefit coverage.  If you were hired after August 1, 2003 and your spouse is eligible for medical benefits through their employer, they must enroll in their employer benefits for primary coverage. They can  then be added to PEBTF benefits under secondary coverage.

If your spouse/domestic partner is already enrolled in your benefit coverage as a secondary and they lost their primary benefits due to job loss or position change, documents may be submitted to PEBTF to change the coverage to primary.

Domestic partners and children of domestic partners who are enrolled by December 31, 2019 are eligible for PEBTF coverage through December 31, 2020.

​Are there other insurance programs I should review?

Read more

​The commonwealth offers several optional insurance programs you may want to consider.  If you already participate in any of these plans, you should review your current choices to ensure they continue to meet your needs.  You may purchase additional life insurance for yourself or your eligible dependents.  You may also purchase short-term and/or long-term disability coverage.  

For more information, please contact Prudential at 800.893.7316 or visit the website for commonwealth employees. For detailed information or to enroll in critical illness insurance, please contact MetLife at 877.755.7480 x2001 or visit the website for commonwealth employees.


​How do I update my beneficiaries?

Read more

You may be enrolled in other plans offered by the commonwealth. You should review your designated beneficiaries. 

If you have questions, you may contact each provider directly or complete and follow the submission instructions on the forms provided below:

​Benefit​Provider Website​Form


State Employees' Retirement Systems (SERS)


​To designate or change your beneficiary you must print, sign and mail the SERS Beneficary Form.

​Commonwealth-provided life, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance


Or, login through ESS at Benefits>Other Benefits>Metlife MyBenefits

MetLife Beneficiary Designation Form

​Supplemental Employee and/or dependent life insurance


Prudential Beneficiary Designation Form

​Deferred Compensation

Empowerment Retirement​To designate or change your beneficiary you must print, sign and mail the SERS Beneficary Form.


​Should I change my tax withholding?

Read more

Adding dependents could affect the amount of taxes you pay.  You may want to speak with a financial consultant to discuss your situation.  If you would like to change your filing status and withholding, you may do so in ESS under Payroll Information. You may contact the HR Service Center by phone, or complete a new Form W4 and submit it to the HR Service Center.

​What other things should I consider?

Read more

​A few more things to think about include updating your Direct Deposit if you have decided to make any banking changes.  You may make the change via ESS under Payroll Information or return a completed Direct Deposit Authorization Form to the HR Service Center.

You may also want to consider enrolling in or updating your Family Care Account Program (FCAP), if your dependent care expenses will be changing.  This program allows you to reduce your taxable income, by saving pre-tax funds for these expenses.