Begin Main Content Area

Getting Married​

Congratulations!  As you start your new life together, there are many items related to your benefits and personal information you’ll want to take some time to review.

Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version

​How do I change my personal information?

Read more

​First, you should contact the Social Security Administration if you plan to change your name.  The name on your Social Security card must match the name on payroll records.  When you receive your updated Social Security Card, submit a copy to the HR Service Center.  This will update your name not only with your benefits provider, but with retirement, payroll, and insurances as well. You can use ESS or call the HR Service Center to update your address, phone number and your emergency contact information.

​What health insurance changes can I make and how? 

Read more

You are able to add your spouse, children and eligible stepchildren to your coverage. If you choose to  elect coverage through your spouse’s plan, you may drop your coverage.  You may enroll your dependents in benefits at any time. Keep in mind that if you wish to drop coverage or elect a new PEBTF plan you must submit the proper documentation within 60 days of your marriage date.  The PEBTF Employee with Child and/or Spouse packet will explain exactly what forms and documentation are needed.

Please consider the following if you wish to enroll dependents in your benefit coverage. If you were hired after August 1, 2003 and your spouse is eligible for medical benefits through their employer, they must enroll in their employer benefits for primary coverage. They can then be added to PEBTF benefits under secondary coverage.

If your spouse is also a PEBTF-covered commonwealth employee, you may have additional options available to you.  Please contact the HR Service Center for more information.

​Are there other insurance programs I should review?

Read more

The commonwealth offers several optional insurance programs you may want to consider.  If you already participate in any of these plans, you should review your current choices to ensure they continue to meet your needs.  You may purchase additional life insurance for yourself or your eligible dependents. Likewise, you may also purchase short-term and/or long-term disability coverage. 

For more information, please contact Prudential at 800.893.7316 or visit the website for commonwealth employees. For detailed information or to enroll in critical illness insurance, please contact MetLife at 877.755.7480 x2001 or visit the website for commonwealth employees.


​How do I update my beneficiaries?

Read more

You may be enrolled in other plans offered by the commonwealth. You should review your designated beneficiaries. 

If you have questions, you may contact each provider directly or complete and follow the submission instructions on the forms provided below:

​Benefit​Provider Website​Form


State Employees' Retirement Systems (SERS)


​To designate or change your beneficiary, you must print, sign and mail the SERS Beneficiary Form.

​Commonwealth-provided life, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance


Or, login through ESS at Benefits>Other Benefits>Metlife MyBenefits

MetLife Beneficiary Designation Form

​Supplemental Employee and/or dependent life insurance


Prudential Beneficiary Designation Form

​Deferred Compensation

Empowerment Retirement​To designate or change your beneficiary, you must print, sign and mail the SERS Beneficiary Form.


​Should I change my tax withholding?

Read more

Getting married may affect the amount of taxes you pay.  You may want to speak with a financial consultant to discuss your situation. 

If you would like to change your filing status and withholding, you may do so in ESS under Payroll Information. You may contact the HR Service Center by phone, or complete a new W-4 form and submit it to the HR Service Center.

​What other changes should I consider?

Read more

​A few more things to think about include updating your Direct Deposit if you have decided to make any banking changes.  You may make the change via ESS under Payroll Information or return a completed Direct Deposit Authorization Form to the HR Service Center.

You may also want to consider enrolling in the Family Care Account Program (FCAP), if you will be incurring any dependent care expenses.  This program allows you to reduce your taxable income by saving pre-tax funds for these expenses.