Frequently Asked Questions
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE A GOVERNOR’S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE?
All current, permanent commonwealth employees are eligible to be nominated. Each nominee must have been a full- or part-time commonwealth employee and actively performed the duties described in the nomination during the previous calendar year.
WHAT WILL GOVERNOR’S AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE NOMINEES RECEIVE?
All nominated employees selected for the Governor’s Awards for Excellence will receive a commendation from the Governor informing them of their selection.
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A GOVERNOR’S AWARD?
(One or more of the following must be met)
- The service, achievement, or accomplishment must go beyond an individual agency program and have multi-agency impact.
- The service, achievement, or accomplishment must have significant impact on the general public.
- The service, achievement, or accomplishment must have significantly enhanced the image, prestige, or effectiveness of the commonwealth.
- The development of commonwealth policy or improved methods or procedures has resulted in significant increased productivity, efficiency, or service to the commonwealth.
WHAT INFORMATION SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE NOMINATION?
Nominations should contain a complete description of the program, process, technique, operation, or accomplishment for which the nomination application is based and answer the following as applicable to the category:
- Description of what has been done and for whom.
- Description of why the approach or achievement was identified or selected for consideration of an award.
- Description of how the accomplishment was achieved.
- If applicable, description of how the approach was funded.
- Identify the challenges, barriers, or obstacles encountered and how they were overcome.
- Description of why the program(s) or project(s) is unique or innovative.
- Description of what benefits resulted from the effort. (To the extent possible, success stories should be included)
- Description of any measurable monetary or non-monetary benefits or results, including dollars saved, costs prevented, or revenue generated, that can be used to quantify success.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION?
Complete the Governor’s Awards of Excellence Nomination Form. Employees without access to computers should request a hard copy of the form from their agency human resource office. The written nomination should describe the specific and measurable impact that the nominee’s accomplishment had on the agency, community, state, or country.
Attach all supporting documentation that can substantiate the reasons for nomination (e.g., letters of commendation or appreciation, description of work projects, press releases, verification of savings, etc.)
Forward the completed nomination form and supporting documentation to substantiate the nomination to your agency HR office.